Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day without Shoes

Today I participated in Toms Shoes "day without shoes" while promoting donating shoes to Haiti and I had a few observations throughout the day with this idea of what people deal with every day of their lives. The first place I traveled to was the cafeteria for work and I was immediately told to put on shoes to enter. I see their reasonings because of the health code but I felt frustrated because if there are people who can't afford shoes they wouldn't be allowed to enter most food establishments. How messed up and sad is that a Christian food establishment would not allow someone who can't afford food in; but maybe I am over reading this and they just required us to wear shoes because they knew we had them. It's all about humility and realizing we are not in control of all our surroundings.

Then I noticed how not many people seemed to participate and those that did not seem to care as much. Some people inquired about it and said they would think about it, but there were also some who seemed annoyed; just something I noticed on a Christian campus. Then we ended the day with a foot washing service; it ended up being around 7 people because of the rain, but it was a very humbling experience. It had reminded me that where 2 or more are gathered God is present and tonight showed that. Tonight was a beautiful reflection of service to those we barely know. Tonight was also a night that made me reflect on Haiti more...but that's a story for another night.

So overall I noticed it is not always easy for people to go without shoes and so many of us have issues with giving up our comforts. Even though things may turn out smaller than you intended, God can and will still use those experiences. I challenge all of us to live a life of service in all we do.



1 comment:

  1. So when do we get the story about your thinking of Haiti? Is it yet "another night?"

    ReplyDelete