Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Choices.

My eyes flash open and I am alone.
I hate solitude, it brings out the worst in me. Silence keeps my thoughts from staying at bay.
I look around, I'm in a dark room.
There's two doors at the end of the hall; it felt as if they were beckoning me.
Beckoning me to choose one.
What is it with life that persuades us to make choices every day?
Why aren't there times where we can just be?
I walk towards the door and see one is red and one is blue and both have a particular sense of familiarity.

My eye drifts first to the blue door, the one filled with the most familiarity. 
What was it that drew me towards it?
As I focused on that one door, I noticed the patterns that were carved into it; Patterns that seemed to know me, to know who I was.
I reached out my hesitant hand, feeling the carvings and with each stroke I felt a sense of warmth.
A sense of comfort. A sense of safety. This was something I had somehow always knew.

Then the red door caught my attention again. I turned to focus on that and noticed writings.
Words were inscribed all over the door, but not just any words. 
Words about me.
This door seemed to know who I was, seemed to have my inner feelings portrayed in words.
This door however, had less familiarity and more of a sense of adventure.
I feel like I did not know this door, as I had with the other; but I felt it knew me.

I backed into view of both of the doors and looked at each in confusion..
I knew I had to choose a door, but which one should I choose?
I reached for a handle and turned it ever so slowly as it might the slightest creak.
There was the brightest light I had ever witnessed, so bright white would not even be able to describe it.
It was lighter than white, with a tint of blue in it; this light had a sense of unknowing and adventure.
I closed the door in fear.

I reach for the other door and slowly open it.
The door creaks open and a strange, familiar smell arises out of it.
I can see the smell, it looks like a strange, flowing line of smoke.
I inhaled the smell and let it soak into my soul.
This was comfortable and intoxicating.
It was what I knew.
I closed the  door in fear and stepped back again.

Two doors stand before me.
One red and one blue.
One familiar and one not.
Yet the one not seems to know me.
This is something I know I must choose.
I cannot let this decision go on much longer.
There was a sense of urgency filling my bones.

I reach out for a door handle,
I feel it cold and round in my hand.
I turn the handle and open the door,
the next thing that I see is...

No comments:

Post a Comment