Monday, March 25, 2013

Authentic? Community.

The more I progress through life, the more I realize the pros and cons of communities. I believe we are made to be in community because we are created by a relational, three in one God; but due to the fall these communities can have destructive tendencies because of its members and that breaks my heart. Maybe it's because I am young and not jaded to the world, but why is it that we cannot have a loving, respectful community even at a Christian school, is that too much to ask? Do our actions as self professing Christians really show that we think Christ's sacrifice was worth it? A prime example of the way we can act is found at my own campus with not only its large amount of slander and gossip that has been going around, but the way the "outcasts" are treated here. Coming from a youth group that stresses authentic community it's hard to be in one that I have grown to love develop such negative qualities. What gets me the most is that it is the ministry majors that are awful to the "outcasts" what are they going to do when they have those same types of students in their future youth ministries? I get the argument that even as ministry majors we still make mistakes, but how is bullying fellow human beings just a mistake? I don't want to become jaded and think this is all communities have to offer. I believe in love. I believe this campus and many other places in this world need transforming love. How can we make this place more loving? One person at a time. We need to be more like what it says in James 5:16 which says "Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed." (MSG)

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps we can start a revolution to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps we can, but how does one start such a revolution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll start it with a few small acts by a few passionate people. There are more people with the same desire than we realize. It won't take much to inspire them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world needs more people with passion like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it already has them.

    ReplyDelete