Sunday, May 5, 2013

In the dark night we find community

"Want to go stargazing?" I was asked one fine night after the most confusing week of the semester or one of them anyway. Naturally I joined the group only to find 10 or so of my friends all in a circle near the radio tower all singing popular songs as my roommate lead with his guitar. We all joined in song all cuddled up to stay warm from the early morning breeze. I looked around and saw couples snuggling, friends embracing, everyone smiling in their contented singing; it was a beautiful reminder of our humanity. We are all broken, we've all been through a hell of a week, and yet here we were in a moment of bliss. It was a glimpse of how community should be, all sharing our burdens emotionally in our body languages and being there together. In the dark of the night community is found.

"Let's go on a walk." I suggested to a distant friend in hopes we could catch up and learn where the other person truly is. So around 1230 am we began walking around campus talking about where each of us had emotionally been these past few months. It was hard at times, we both were hurt, but it was needed and it was good. We ended up sitting down on the stairs of the library where I had once helped this friend through hard times in our friendship and talked with her until 4 am. We were both tired and cold, but we had so many things to say and both did not want to leave at all because it was so peaceful. It was beautiful, we were both so hurt from each other and broken messes but in the dark of the night we became community for one another. We were comforts and listening ears. We were what we needed. In the dark of the night community is found.

Community is always found. Through our brokenness we find each other. Through or brokenness we can seek others help and presence. We may not talk about our issues but we want someone who can be there for us. We want to know that we aren't alone. We all have our issues And our hope is that "you won't forget about me." We were made for relationships.

That is why I am so excited for my job with Youth Works this summer because as programs coordinator one of my "responsibilities" is to be relational which is how I believe I should live my life. I will be trying to periodically update this blog about my summer leading missions trips for teens, but we will see how often I do. I am sure in being relational and sharing Gods love I will learn many things that I will reflect about here.

In the darkest night of the soul we were made to be relational. Find your people who get you and simply be with them. We were made for community especially in or brokenness.

No comments:

Post a Comment