Thursday, December 28, 2017

2017 In Review

Another year is coming to a close only for another one to begin. We celebrate this time each year to reflect on our past and prepare for our future. This is the time of making goals that you hope will last and know many will stop after a few months...if that. As I prepare for the coming year I want to reflect on this year in order to prepare for the next. Below are some of my favorite moments of 2017 which I have decided to call "The Domestic Year".
******

1. We bought a house: 2017 was the year we bought a fixer upper! We did not begin 2017 with plans to purchase a house or even to move, but when we found our new place we knew it was the one for us. We have done a lot of work on the house already--my wife has done most of the work as she is a better handyman than I am--but there's still more work to do. It's been a great learning experience.

2. We adopted a puppy: This year we welcomed a new addition to our family: Petra Lucille. We adopted my wife's dream dog this year as a puppy. She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and she is as spunky as can be! This year has been a joy watching her grow with our other dog and cat and seeing how they interact together. It's also been a learning experience as we engaged in the act of potty training. It's still a work in progress, but our girl is getting there!

3. We researched: As many of our family and friends know we have a heart for adoption. Not only do we know many friends and family members who have adopted, but we, too, want to adopt one day. This year has been a year of hardcore researching to figure out which is the best route for us: private infant, foster care, international, agency, or county. It's been an interesting journey, but it is one we need to take together. We have wanted to adopt since before we were married, but this year was when we really buckled down on our researching. We are still in the process, but we are getting close to figuring out what is our best route for our forever family.

4. Our extended family grew: This year our extended families have grown in multiple ways. My brother-in-law got married and so I gained a new sister. My younger sister also is pregnant and within the next week or so I will be an uncle! 

5. I read: Naturally, as I love to read, I read many books this year. Not as many as I have in previous years, but a good bit despite all the changes that happened this year. I have continued reading The Expanse series, I read some standalone books, I read a lot of Wendell Berry's writings, and I read Redwood--the fifth book in the series The Familiar. I still enjoy reading Sci-Fi, but this year my reading focus shifted to food and gardening. Though I did not read as many books as last year I feel as if I have appreciated the books I read this year more.

6. We Coordinated a Community Garden: This year we didn't just utilize the community garden, but we became the coordinators of it. We learned the difficulties that can come with coordinating a free community garden, but we also learned the blessings that grow with it too. We got to know other gardeners and gardens while embracing the spirit of planting your own food. This year I think we began to appreciate gardening for more than just a way to save money on food--although that is a great aspect of it--but as a way of life!
******

This year has been a great year overall and though we have had ups and downs throughout it I can't help, but look back and see all the ways that my family has been there and made it an even better year. I am excited for the next year and all the adventures to come. When I began this post I considered ending it with my goals for 2018, but I realized that sometimes when I make goals they can limit my imagination. Instead of listing S.M.A.R.T. goals for 2018, I'm going to list an overall goal that will encompass all I want to accomplish this year:
Focus on my family. 
Grace & Peace,
Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment