Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why Small Groups are Important

Since the beginning of my journey in the Liberal Arts, I have been a part of many small groups. I have been a participant, co-leader, and leader of each of these groups and I have gained many beneficial experiences from these communities. A week ago I was asked to briefly speak in chapel on my experiences as a small group leader and at first I thought it would take awhile to decide what to say. When the day approached, I entered the stage, and spoke about the community, vulnerability, spiritual growth, and accountability that being a small group leader provides. I was not as confident in my explanation, but got many compliments on what I said.

A few days later I was meeting with one of my close friends and wondering how we first met. My friend was sharing his passions for forms of non-traditional ministry and I noticed a change since when we first met. As I was reflecting on this I realized we met because he was in my small group freshmen year. I remember entering that group meeting the first week of Freshmen year and thinking that this guy was pretty quiet and that we did not have anything in common. Now 2 1/2 years later we meet on a regular basis over tacos or coffee to discuss life. 

Upon realizing this I started contemplating how I grew close to many of my friends. I remembered the Bible study I had with a few friends freshmen year. I reflected on the many nights I joined in on the group that watched and discussed Rob Bell "Nooma" videos; our talks greatly contrasted those of the Bible study. I look back on my year in the Social Justice small group where I participated in many forms of activism and awareness. I think of the great friendships I developed through co-leading a group and then finally I thought of the group of transfer students I am leading this year.

I have learned many important things from being in a small group. I have grown in my faith and developed lasting relationships that I can be real with. The words that I spoke about in chapel a week ago were more honest than I first realized. Small groups are a great way to create an authentic community and provide accountability and lasting relationships with those that have similar interests. 

These are just thoughts from the dust on why you should be a part of a small group.

No comments:

Post a Comment