Monday, December 10, 2012

Journeying in the College Years

You know what they say about your college years; that they form you and liberate you from your sheltered life? Well I would have to say that this year has seemed to encompass that more than the first year. My freshmen year of college focused mostly on me trying to find where I fit here and how much I can get involved. This year, however, things are quite different.

I am already involved in different groups and I have many friends and yet I continue to develop new friendships. I am being introduced to new ideas, concepts, music genres, and so on. There are days that I am realizing how sheltered that I was growing up and other days that I realize how well off I had it. Then there are days where I spend the entire day in the library.

That day is today. I have been writing papers all day in the library because my classes were cancelled. It is an interesting feeling to get your papers finished with so many hours left in your evening, especially as you see all the other students frantically trying to finish theirs. It brings me a feeling of relief but also a feeling worry. I worry that I am finished early because I did not add enough or that it is inadequate and it is times like this that I need to just let my thoughts out and follow the words of Christ that says not to worry.

My always moving mind now directs my thoughts to yesterday. There are times in our life where we are a part of something but do not truly feel a sense of belonging there until one day when there is a click. That happened with my church yesterday. When I walked into church I felt a mental click that it was the place that I belonged at for right now and that I could be myself there. I even found my behavior to reflect this new found click and it was marvelous.

So I type all of this to show that in the end of my 3rd semester at the university, I am feeling like a college student. I am defining how I am and who I am going to be. I am becoming unsheltered and finding areas where I must be sheltered. I am enjoying the simple things in life and finishing papers at my own pace. I am following God as I journey day by day on this campus.

I am on a journey figuring out who I am through Christ.

What will tomorrow hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment