Thursday, June 4, 2015

Post Grad Community

"We'll see each other again. We're all staying in the Columbus area this is not goodbye." These were the words that were exchanged on the day of my college graduation. It had been an incredible four years journeying with my roommate and crazy awesome friends. We had studied through tons of classes, played many pranks on each other, and went on many adventures. Some would say that I had the best four years of my life thus far at the University. And now we were all graduating and heading out to different parts of the Columbus area of Ohio to pursue careers, relationships, and whatever the next adventure holds. It is crazy to think I started this blog four years ago when I started college and now I am 3 weeks into post graduation life.

Since graduation I have been working two part-time jobs as a Starbucks Barista and as a Youth Ministry Director for the local Presbyterian church (PCUSA). I have had a very flexible schedule filled with interacting with fun co-workers at Starbucks by having talks on the church, theology, and politics; as well as getting to know a new youth group and planning a week long missions trip. My days have consisted of work, ministry, and hanging out with my incredible fiance as well as my new roommate and good friends. I have found that I currently have more freedom in the post grad life so I have been striving to connect with my friends who are in the area. I am quickly learning the intentionality that is needed in post grad life to continue to have meaningful relationships.

Today I was reminded of that intentionality. I had two of my good college friends--one of which was my roommate of four years--come back and visit me. We got to have lunch together to catch up and went adventuring around Mount Vernon. It was such a blessing to get to live life with these individuals for a few hours again today. I know I have incredible friends here, but it is so refreshing to see that those who have moved away are still involved in my life. Then to make matters even better I have more of my former apartment mates and friends coming to visit this weekend. It is a beautiful reminder of what intentional community can look like.

So many people think that once you transition out of a phase in life--like graduating--that you need to just move on and let people go, but I would like to argue that you do not need to do that. True community is one where people stay connected and continue to live life together even from a distance. There comes a time in our lives where we meet people who drastically change our lives. We meet people who have changed our lives so much we do not let geographic boundaries keep us from being apart of each others lives. This is community and yet it is more than just community. Rev. Michael Frost uses the term communitas to describe the sense of community that is achieved when we are in a place of transition--much like college--and these people were a part of my communitas, but they are also more than that. These people are the ones that I want to truly live life with and be a true community. I know, much like in real life, I am saying the word community a lot, but I am not using it lightly. I believe all of creation was made for relationships and community and that when we find those people to live life with in community we are beginning to live life as it should be.

So let us find those people we can best live life with. Let us find that community and communitas we are so drastically yearning for. Let us live in relationships.


No comments:

Post a Comment