Saturday, August 16, 2014

Strengths build community

Positivity. Includer. Input. Developer. Connectedness.

These are my top five strengths according to the Strength Finder 2.0 test (http://www.strengthsfinder.com/home.aspx). Properly understanding how these strengths work and what they mean helped me to see how they completely describe my life.  I have found that understanding my strengths can open my eyes to why I can struggle with working well with certain types of people. We have different strengths. We do things differently. 

In life and in our vocation it can be easy to focus on perfecting our weaknesses. We tend to see what we are not good at and try to change that. We are a culture that strives for perfection even one that is diverse in its appearance. This perfection can lead to competition which when not kept in check can rule a persons life. 

I'd like to argue that we need to focus on our strengths. Point out what strengths our co-workers have and let them work with those strengths as we work with our own. We need to stop falling into the competitive life style and realize that whatever vocation we have we can still work together with people to further the kingdom. We all have different strengths to bring to the table. 

This mentality is what brought my YouthWorks staff team close this summer. Instead of living a life of competing who was better, we realized we all had our own strengths to bring to the team. Where one member was lacking another could step in. That's what true Christian community looks like: building each other up with our strengths.  

No comments:

Post a Comment