Sunday, June 1, 2014

New Orleans: City of Culture and Food

"Ya'll need to try the beignet's and coffee."

This is the typical response we have received when we have asked locals what they would recommend for us to try as we attempt to navigate the culture of the beautiful city of New Orleans. My team and I--Janie Lynne, Rebekah, and Matt--all arrive here about a week ago after a week long training in Birmingham, AL. We had a 5 1/2 hour drive here where we focused on getting to know each other individually. Throughout our training week we were given times to get to know each other, however, we were also trying to get to know our area and others we had met that week. It was an interesting week of trying to find the balance of hanging out with my team from last year and getting to know this new team. I was finding that I often was comparing both teams subconsciously. As we drove through Alabama, Mississippi, and finally Louisiana I began the process of letting go of comparisons to allow myself a 'blank slate' summer. There are times where I will still compare but, for the most part I can tell that we are a very different team compared to last year. We are a great team with very similar and very diverse personalities. We all balance each other out and create a really good dynamic. I am ecstatic to grow closer to this team through the trials and adventures that await us.

We have spent this week preparing the church site for participants to arrive, exploring the city, and truly experiencing Southern Hospitality. We have attended BBQ's, dinners at local restaurants, and have even been invited over to houses that are over 150 years old! From very early on in the week we have seen the European influence here in New Orleans, especially how they view time. Everyone seems to be functioning on event time and are very relationship oriented. Another cultural element I have noticed is how big the food is here! There are all kinds of different foods here especially Cajun, Creole, and French foods. There is one delicacy that I have been especially fond of which is called a "po-boy" or "poor boy." A "po-boy" is like a  sub sandwich but you can order anything on it. New Orleans also has many different "snowball" stores that sell their own version of snow cones, however, you cannot ever call them 'snow cones' because "snow balls" are much better according to true New Orleans.

Other than experiencing the culture here we have been privileged with the opportunity to visit the Lower 9th Ward and Brad Pitt's "Make it Right Campaign." We were able to see the levee that broke during Hurricane Katrina and every Tuesday night I will be explaining to 60 plus teenagers how the "Make it Right Campaign" created gentrification in the Lower 9th Ward--the most impoverished area in New Orleans--and how even though Pitt had good intentions he did not necessarily help those who needed it most. It has been fascinating getting different perspectives from the locals on the effects of Katrina and even New Orleans pre-Katrina. I still have much to learn from New Orleans about all that happened and about the surrounding culture; I am excited to adventure farther into the summer with an open mind eager to learn.

These are my thoughts from week 1 in New Orleans--week 2 for YouthWorks this summer--and I am ready to see what God has in store for my team and I! Hopefully within the coming weeks I will be sharing about the stories that God writes with us. Here's to a great summer serving as missionaries in the beautiful city of New Orleans!

No comments:

Post a Comment