Sunday, December 22, 2013

Tanner's Top 10 Non-Fiction Books

Many of my friends and colleagues that know me well know that I try to be very well read. My room contains a large bookshelf that is filled and I also have three shelves filled with books. I have developed a "library system" of sorts so that I can loan out my books to others. Along with that, I am often asked by friends for book recommendations and so as the year comes to an end I've decided to give a "Top 10 non-fiction books I would recommend for the new year." These books aren't in any specific order, but are simply books that I would recommend. 

1. A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master" by Rachel Held Evans
I recently had the privilege of reading this book and more often than not I found myself exclaiming, "amen" to the book. I find this book to be very enjoyable and informative on what it means for women to be "biblical." I would recommend this to men and women alike especially those who are tired of hearing "women should be silent". Overall this was a book that reminded me that importance of women all throughout scripture and is a great reminder to everyone that men and women are equal. I recommend this to all who want an enjoyable read. 

2. Simply Christian: Why Christianity makes sense by N.T. Wright 
At the end of this past summer I had the privilege of reading this book. For those who enjoyed Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis this was a 21st century look on what it means to be Christian. If you ever need a way to best explain this way of Jesus to a postmodern world, this is the key book to read. It's engaging to readers and helps even age old Christians get a fresh look at Christianity. 

3. Love Wins: a book about heaven, hell, and the fate of every person who ever lived by Rob Bell
I read this book my freshmen year of college and since then it has been one of my favorites. Rob does a brilliant job at asking the tough questions that people seem too afraid to tackle. I feel Rob's website description of the book describes it well, "Rob Bell addresses one of the most controversial issues of faith—the afterlife—arguing, would a loving God send people to eternal torment forever…? With searing insight, Bell puts hell on trial, and his message is decidedly hopeful—eternal life doesn't start when we die; it starts right now. And ultimately, Love Wins." So instead of jumping on the bandwagon of what people have told you, pick up a book, and read for yourself. 

4. Love Does: discover a secretly incredible life in an ordinary world by Bob Goff
This past January I spent a month in the country of Belize and I could not have picked a more fitting book. Goff is an inspiring and incredible man who does not just talk about life, but he actually lives life. Love is so much more than a thought or idea it is something that we were intended to do. Love Does tells beautiful stories of what can happen when we love in our actions. I have never met someone who had disliked Goff's book. I recommend this to everyone who can read. 

5. Blue like Jazz: Nonreligious thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller 
I had the privilege of reading this book near the end of my freshmen year and I could not put it down. Miller tells stories from his life to show that God is still present and moving in our postmodern world in ways that we might never have guessed. It is a fresh, lively perspective on life, love, and redemption. I suggest you read it to find out why Don says, "I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened." I recommend this to anyone. 

6. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Own Life by Donald Miller
Upon reading Blue like Jazz I highly recommend reading Don's follow up book. I read this book on my adventurous summer working for the Non-profit YouthWorks and decided it is a great book especially for those in the twenty something's range. Don explores what it means to create a good story for your own life. Read about Miller's life as he edits it and reinvents his life while providing ways for you to reinvent yours. I recommend this book to anyone who are trying to figure out what to do with their lives. 

7. The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne 
This is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read. Though there are moments that Shane goes farther than I would, he has become one that I see Jesus in and hope that I could be like one day. Shane tells his stories of communal living, serving under mother Teresa, starting up a non-profit known as the simple way, feeding and living with the homeless, and striving to live as a peacemaker for Christ. This is an inspirational book on changing the world with little acts of love. I recommend this book to all. 

8. Insurrection: To Believe Is Human To Doubt, Divine by Peter Rollins
This book has been monumental in my philosophical thinking. Written by a Christian, postmodern, philosopher which there are few of. Rollins explores what it truly means to doubt. Rollins is less concerned on discussing life after death and more concerned on life before death. Amazon describes this conquest by saying, "In order to unearth this truth, Rollins prescribes a radical and wholesale critique of contemporary Christianity that he calls pyro-theology. It is only as we submit our spiritual practices, religious rituals, and dogmatic affirmations to the flames of fearless interrogation that we come into contact with the reality that Christianity is in the business of transforming our world rather than offering a way of interpreting or escaping it. Belief in the Resurrection means but one thing: Participation in an Insurrection." I was blown away by this book and it really challenged me to work towards transforming the world for Christ. I recommend this book to Christians who feel they are strong in their faith.

9. Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World by Brian McLaren
We live in a very blended culture filled with many religions. It can be hard discerning, as Christians, how we should interact with other religions. Having read the short story prequel, the girl with the dove tattoo, I decided to give this book a try. It is a wonderful look at how we should treat others in other religions. McLaren presents many personal stories and examples on what we should do. He proposes a new faith alternative, one built on "benevolence and solidarity rather than rivalry and hostility." I felt McLaren beautifully shows us how to better live Christ-like lives with those around us. I recommend this book to all.

10. Velvit Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith by Rob Bell
My list would not be complete without one of the very first theology books I have ever read. I may have read ones before this, but this book is what got me reading others. This was a great look at theology and how many follow a form of Christianity called "Brickianity" and how we should instead treat Christianity like a trampoline with many springs that hold it up. Bell is well-versed in Jewish teachings and draws from rabbinic wisdom and stories freely. If all that is not enough, also know that it is an easy book for anyone to read. So even if you don't enjoy Love Wins I would greatly recommend you try out this book. 

Well those are my top ten non-fiction books for the new year. I hope that at least one of these books leaves an impact on you. As you read them I pray you will have an open mind that is willing to learn from these great authors. You may not agree with everything they say, but you might still get great insight from them. 

Next blog post: "Tanner's Top Ten Fiction Books."

No comments:

Post a Comment