Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Cry for Unity

"I understand that politics is important in our society and that we as citizens have the responsibility of who we elect as our president. However it kills me to see how politics is creating so much tension among believers within the Church. We need to hold to our number one priority of being a united body through love under the reign of Christ!" -Small Group Member

This quote which was stated by a member in the small group I lead has surprisingly ticked a few people off. The very idea of us being a united body of love pissing someone off makes me want to lose hope.  I do not understand why someone would get all uptight over this statement.

So naturally I asked them to elaborate...bad idea.

I do not share my political opinions because I want to go into ministry and I believe that Church and state are meant to be separated; but I never thought that I would be criticized for that. I never thought I would be told to "find another religion" if I didn't stand firm on my political opinions. How messed up is that?

Christianity is about a relationship with Christ, our Savior, striving to live more and more like Him. My political views should not in anyway effect my relationship with Christ.

When Christians react the way one did tonight, it makes me want to lose hope in the church.

I know that would be a stupid over generalization, but it's so frustrating; especially when they use words like "retarded" to replace the word "stupid." That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves and I cannot see how using that word is loving in anyway. 

Lord I am crying to you for peace, for unity, for reconciliation. Lord, hear my cry. I'm yours.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment