Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Three Word Miracle

Today as I sit and type this, is the wonderful day that we set aside to remember Christ's first coming. Last night at our Christmas Eve Service I had a perspective change. I had spent the entire day watching a television show--a great one at that--but I realized I had spent most of my Christmas eve in a fake reality. How messed up is that? Shows are great, but when its this amazing season of giving, spending time with loved ones, and love I should have been doing more than just watching television. So by the time I was sitting in the service I was just praying for forgiveness for being so materialistic and for lack of better words beating myself up, and then something happened that changed it all. It all started with three words "Look Whose Here." My sister had no idea how great those words felt to me, as I saw that the family that left church 5 years ago had entered our church for the first time since they left. I realized I had witnessed a miracle that night--some may argue whether or not that was one, but I believe it was--this family that did not want anything to do with our church came back. It totally made me reevaluate my Christmas perspective and reminded me not to be so focused on "me, me, me." but to focus on others and what I can do for others, I mean for all I know the time spent obsessing over the amount of television I've watched I may have missed out on an opportunity to show God's love to someone. Then today, we had a Christmas Service, as it is Sunday and it was incredible. Maybe it's the geek in me coming out, but I loved the sermon so much and am just reminded how much we can forget how amazing this day we celebrate truly is. I mean it's the season we celebrate God giving His most precious possession, His one true son. The season that we can all stop our anger and give to those in need. There are so many things we can do to give, such as: lifestraws, Toms Shoes, Heifer International, and many more. I pray that the Christmas attitude of giving will stay in me and others 365 days a year and not just during this Advent season. Let's all try and move past our flaws from the dust and become the people that we truly can be. The people the Christ made us to become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment